- Encourage environmentally friendly commuting by reimbursing individuals who bike to work (Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, CA)
- Free preventative medicine, unlimited vacation days (!), decreased insurance contributions to non-smokers, to encourage smokers to quit. (General Electric, Fairfield, CT)
- Free health education sessions. Team members may also donate paid vacation days to one another to assist in times of difficulty. (Whole Foods Market, Austin, TX)
- Free on-site flu-shots, flexible work schedules, various sports teams, and gyms on-site (General Mills, Minneapolis, MN)
- Free short-term counselling for employees (Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH)
- Game tables in conference rooms, dance-offs, free health screenings and flu shots, and company workouts (with healthy snacks!). (Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants, San Francisco, CA)
- Made-from scratch cafeteria offerings, unlimited vacation days and flexible work schedules, on-site gym with classes, and paid parental leave (Twitter, San Francisco, CA).
Side note: I’ve had the personal pleasure of having a meal at Twitter, and I will agree that the made-from-scratch cafeteria choices are top-notch!
- In-house basketball court, bowing alley, fitness facility, yoga studio, putting green… Need I say more? Oh, okay, untracked vacation days and annual company trips. (Red Ventures, Charlotte, NC)
- Focus on low-calorie and low-fat foods; focus on fruits and vegetables
- Decrease portion sizes—cut muffins or bagels into halves or quarters.
- Provide water, fat-free or low-fat milk, and 100% juices
- Light desserts that are fruit based may be offered, such as crisps or cobblers
- Provide a vegetarian option at meals
- For longer meetings, provide breaks for activity and choose a venue where participants can explore the area safely; send out a memo about fitness facilities that may be available at multi-day events
- Physical activity breaks may be organized, but also adaptable for people of all fitness levels and physical abilities to participate in.
As you can see, both big ideas and small can make a difference in the health of your employees. For companies who want to keep team-members with chronic health concerns safer at work, consider supplementing the cost of a medical ID bracelet or necklace—My Identity Doctor can work out a program that suits your company’s needs to provide cost-effective medical identification solutions for you and your employees. E-mail us at info [at] myidentitydoctor.com, and we’ll work with you in helping your team gain peace of mind!