Cancer is a medical condition describing an abnormal cell growth. Also called malignancy, cancer has about 100 types, which include colon cancer, prostate, lung, skin cancer, lymphoma, and breast cancer being the most common among them. Today, the known treatment for cancer include surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy.
Cancer has varying symptoms depending on the type. Most of these go undetected especially in the early stages that is why it is important that you stay vigilant about your health and consult your physician immediately whenever you observe something strange in your body. Basically, there has been no known cure for cancer yet, but if the disease is diagnosed in its early stage, the greater chance for it to be treated.
Today, the most effective weapon you can have to fight this disease is cancer awareness. You have to equip with the knowledge on the symptoms and know where to go when experiencing one of them. Cancer prevention is also your best practice. Having yourself regularly checked by your trusted health care provider is also the best way to diagnose health problems to prevent them from going into their serious stage.
Choosing the best Cancer Center
Part of cancer awareness is your knowledge on the best cancer control center for you to go whenever you’re diagnosed with cancer. Considering the shock, fear, panic, and anxiety that you will be feeling when diagnosed, it will be hard for you to think straight in deciding where to go for treatment and ask for support services. To help widen your cancer awareness, might as well get to know ten of the best cancer centers of America.
1. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center- in line with the national cancer control program, this center is one of the best-known cancer control center, which is listed among the 41 comprehensive cancer centers sponsored by NCI.
2. Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center- this hospital is completely equipped for cancer prevention and treatment, and is used for extensive cancer research.
3. Dana Farber Cancer Institute—still in Boston, this cancer awareness promoting institute offers a complete oncology services both for children and adults.
4. The Kimmel Cancer Center, Jefferson University Hospital- located in Philadelphia, this cancer prevention center is busy with various cancer researches for treatment.
5. Abramson Cancer Center at the University of Pennsylvania-still in Philadelphia, this cancer control center is known for skin and colon cancer research.
6. Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center, University of Maryland-this cancer research center is known for delivering advanced radiation, which lessen the damage of the surrounding cells.
7. The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins—this cancer research institute takes pride in mind healing therapies and acupuncture.
8. Duke Cancer Institute, Duke University—this cancer control center has unparalleled cancer facility to further research and treatment
9. Emory Winship Cancer Institute—they focus on prostate cancer, but all other types are also treated.
10. Moffitt Cancer Center—the only comprehensive cancer control center in Florida.
In conclusion, the irony of cancer is the fact that it is common, but don’t have a cure yet as of today. Since prevention is always a better option, broadening your cancer awareness is really important.