If you have a heart problem, you know how difficult it may be to live a predictable life, and how scary it can be to have new symptoms—cardiac-seeming or not. Whether you are an adult who has had a heart attack or has a rhythm disorder, a younger person with heart problems like idiopathic cardiomyopathy or a congenital heart defect (CHD), or a parent helping their child navigate a life-altering CHD or other cardiac problem, medical ID jewelry may help you feel safer when keeping pace with your life.
Reasons people with heart problems should wear medical ID jewelry
- An injury or illness, or even the weather, may exacerbate your heart condition causing unexpected symptoms. A medical ID bracelet can help first responders and the emergency department know how best to help you.
- Allow you to receive faster treatment since your vital medical history will be more quickly available to those helping you.
- Identify medications that may cause complications in an emergency: blood thinners can cause problems if you are in an accident by making you bleed too much. A warfarin bracelet or taking coumadin necklace can alert first responders that you may bleed excessively and to take precautions.
- Help others know your history: If you have had a heart attack, a transplant, congenital heart defect, or other heart problem, you likely have a medical team you trust. A medical ID bracelet can help ensure the right people are taking care of you.
- Identify any past surgeries that may need to be taken into consideration during your treatment.
- Identify any implanted devices in your body: implanted cardioverter defibrillators and pacemakers help keep a lot of people healthy, but they can also experience problems or require medical staff to be extra cautious. A pacemaker alert bracelet or ICD medical bracelet can help keep you and your expensive medical equipment safe.
- Ensure that your family or close friends/next-of-kin are alerted in the event of an emergency so that you are not alone.
February is Heart Month. If you have a congenital heart defect, heart disease, are a heart transplant recipient, or are at risk of heart related complications from medications or other treatments, wearing a medical ID bracelet or necklace can help you feel confident—and may just save your life. We have a variety of medical bracelets and heart patient necklaces available—and even a selection of heart-shaped/themed jewelry if that’s how you roll.