If you are allergic to Peanuts – don’t eat anything.

Posted on April 5, 2013 by admin
peanut-allergy-braceletHey its me, Burton, the shop puppy at Identity Doctor, Inc. The other day, Me and Jon were walking with his friend when we passed through a billboard advertisement of a new chocolate bar. I overheard Jon say that 1.3% of human population is affected by peanut allergy. I am more than relieved when he said peanuts don’t appear to cause allergies in dogs like they do in people. Boys have higher chances of being prone to peanut allergies than girls. No wonder Jon knows so much about medical conditions- he is the owner of Identity Doctor (and mine too.

Coming to my point of discussion. If you are allergic to Peanuts- don’t eat anything (without awareness). Peanuts increasingly find their way into foods you wouldn’t imagine. For example, chilli paste may be thickened using ground peanuts.

How to tell if there is peanut in the food you are about to eat:
1. Always check food labels, as ingredients keep changing.
2. Check for any precautionary statement on the label- contains peanuts, may contain peanuts, may contain traces of peanuts, etc.
3. Ask the food manufacturer if you are not sure.
4. Don’t eat foods that do not have ingredients stated.
5. Research “foods that may contain peanuts”

Why not to eat anything without awareness- some of these foods can cause life-threatening anaphylactic reaction where the mouth, throat, and bronchial tubes swell enough to impede breathing. The person may even faint. Often there is swelling of lips, tongue, or face. This is why I recommend wearing a peanut allergy bracelet which communicates your condition when you cannot.

Am I not a smart dog like my master.
– Woof (Burton)

Reaction to peanuts and tree nuts can be different. It all depends upon the specific person – the same person may react differently at different times.

Peanut allergies can cause serious reaction called anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis begin with symptoms resulting in less severe reaction but later they worsen leading to breathing problems, dizziness, throat tightness or even low blood pressure. If anaphylaxis is not treated instantly, it can be life threatening.

Peanuts Allergic reaction may include:

  • Skin reactions
  • Eye reactions
  • Stomach and intestinal reactions, such as vomiting,dizziness or diarrhea.
  • Breathing problems such as wheezing or snoring.
  • Swelling of lips, tongue, or face

The only way to treat a nut allergy is to avoid tree nuts and peanuts. It not only means to avoid eating nuts but also to avoid food and products containing tree nuts or peanuts as constituent. It is always better to read the label on market products. Some of the high risk foods for people with nut allergies include:

  • Cookies and baked goods
  • Candy
  • Ice cream
  • Asian, African, and other cuisine
  • Sauces

Following are some of the precautions you need to take:

  • Avoid eating foods that you didn’t make it yourself, with an unknown list of ingredients.
  • Make your family members aware about your allergy so that they would take care before giving you any homemade or market products to eat.
  • Make sure the knife that was used to make peanut butter sandwich is not used to butter your bread.
  • Check rescue medications, such as epinephrine available at all times, not in your locker or car but in your pocket or bag that’s with you all the time.

In spite of all precautions and necessary steps even if you have mistakenly eaten something or suffering with the consequences, you can always have a peanut allergy jewelry which will let others know about your allergy, making it easier for your treatment. You can also advise your friends and family members to wear peanut allergy bracelets for their safety.

Leave Comment:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*
*